Saturday, May 8, 2010

I need Africa more than Africa needs me

So I just joined The Mocha Club....I know I'm at least 5 years late on this one but Africa changes you. I saw this video right before I left and thought about ordering a shirt (I order a shirt from everywhere) but the phrase was not true for me...yet. But now it is and my shirt came in the mail today and tonight I joined the club. It is only $7 a month and you can join my "team" at:

http://mochaclub.org/joinme/worshipdefined (Apparently you must cut and paste this)

I chose to support child mothers and women at risk so I would love for you to join me as we recognize that we are not just waiting for the rescue that is to come, but that we are the rescue here and now. That when Jesus prayed, "Your kingdom come, Your will be done on earth as it is in Heaven" Lk. 11:2 we realize that it is not His will that young girls be kidnapped, brutalized, raped, child mothers, or forced to prostitute themselves to feed their families. That Isaiah 58 calls us to. "to loose the bonds of wickedness, to undo heavy burdens, to let the oppressed go free, and that you break every yoke? Is it not to share your bread with the hungry, and that you bring to your house the poor that are cast out; when you see the naked that you cover him..." I love this video because it is true that they have a joy that defies their circumstances, it does not make sense that they should love so deeply, give so freely, worship so lavishly and yet they do. But that does not mean that we should not fight their injustices, that we should not defend their cause. More than anything it should shame us that we don't live that way with all that we have. Yes, in Korah I saw God's glory everywhere despite the poverty but seeing His glory does not mean that it is ok to leave them in the oppression. "Now this was the sin of your sister Sodom: she and her daughters were arrogant, overfed, and unconcerned; they did not help the poor and needy"Ezek. 16:49 I left for Africa disillusioned, disappointed, disgusted all words beginning with dis:)at America and certainly the modern church. "Americans spend 705 billion dollars on entertainment and recreation a year, it would take only 65 billion to eliminate the most extreme poverty on the planet for more than a billion people." Stearns. But oddly enough I came home hopeful, because we have it!! God had blessed our nation with the ability to change the world. And don't you think that we will draw all men unto Him by loving our neighbor as ourselves? by acting justly and loving mercy and walking humbly with our God? That many will see these people who hug lepers, feed the widow, send children to school and want to know this Jesus that inspires people to give time, money, a voice to those who have been so heavily burdened? Imagine what the world would do if they saw that kind of love acted out?

4 comments:

Emily said...

wow love that video! our joy truly should not be defined by our circumstances... i have often told myself "i need nursing more than nursing needs me"... i think it is true!
oh and i am member of the mocha club too...i think!

Anonymous said...

I love seeing your blog entries. You did need a blog, or everyone else needed you to have one. =) I love it! I'll think of you when I wear my shirt. I saw you have Sara Groves on your FB too. ;) Awesome. Many will see and hear and come to know the Lord. (Ps. 40:3)He has definitley put a great song in your mouth! Thanks for your heart and testimony!

Love,
Tracey

val sarte said...

Its wonderful so moving and touching by comparison we have a far better situations than them but we lack joy and contentment

Rik no Blog said...

Legal!