Saturday, October 25, 2008

A Hero's Welcome Part 1

Over a year ago our family committed to praying every night for “Kate’s Dad” aka Captain Stephen B. while he was deployed in Iraq. Every night at bedtime we would lift up our soldiers “especially Kate’s Dad” to the Lord asking for their safety, physically and spiritually. There was not a night that we did not pray…literally. If the kids were tired and I thought a short prayer without the soldiers, children of Uganda, Haiti and Zimbabwe was too much the kids would absolutely not let me say good night until we prayed properly.
I had never met Stephen, but when he came home in May I felt the Lord telling me that I needed to throw him a welcome home party…so I called in the troops and we organized a “Hero's Welcome” from the First grade class and the Teachers at our school. I called my friend the fabulous Chris F. to cater the event and decorated the backyard with red, white, and blue. I talked to Mrs. R about the kids doing a special presentation, (they did a wonderful job) and asked Shane to lead us in a few worship songs. We thanked Stephen and his family for their sacrifice and his service and we praised God for the answer to all of the families of our schools prayers to bring him home safely. It was a beautiful night and I was privileged to be a part of it. It was a small gesture from those that he had served to give up one night to say a simple thank you. Thank you for giving up a year of soccer games, movie nights, his children's birthdays, Thanksgiving Dinner, Christmas Morning, date nights with his wife, and all the little moments that we can take for granted so that we would not miss those precious moments with our own families. Thank you for risking everything you hold dear for a cause bigger yourself. Thank you for being an American Hero.

John 15:13 "Greater love has no one than this, that one lay down his life for his friends."









No comments: