Monday, October 27, 2008

A Hero's Welcome Part 2



Last week we were given the opportunity to thank two more American Heroes for their sacrifice and service to us and our country. Not long after we began praying for "Kate's Dad" we added "Anson's Dad" from Hope's class, to our prayers. Jess was also deployed to Iraq and we along with several classes at school and other families committed to pray for him every night. Then we added another dad from Hope's class, "Natalie's Dad" to our prayers, Lance was stationed in Afghanistan.

Jess was due to be home in the Fall and the last time I talked to Kellie she was hoping Lance would be home for the holidays. Then I was at school a few weeks ago and I had just found out that Jess was in San Diego and I looked up and there was Lance!! I cannot tell you the excitement of our prayers that night as we thanked the Lord for bringing home "Kate's Dad, Anson's Dad, and Natalie's Dad". It has been over a year since we began praying for these men and their families and I was as thrilled as the kids!! Of course you know what this means... a party!! (I have decided that I am God's personal party planner!)

This time we invited the whole school since Lance has kids in 4 year old preschool and first grade and all those now second graders had been praying for so long. It was an incredible night that I really can't describe. We had wonderful food and fellowship with almost 100 people!! The goal was to bless those men who have blessed us and I think we accomplished that. I talked to the teachers and the Four year old class said the Pledge of Allegiance, the Kindergarten sang God Bless America, and the 1st and 2nd graders sang My Country Tis of Thee. We watched a short slide show that Lance brought home from Afghanistan with pictures of the children and the harsh landscape of that country and then his sweet daughter shared her vision of helping those in Afghanistan...more on that later. Then we watched one of my favorite songs, "If I die before you wake" and then Shane led us in some worship. My favorite part of the night was when the entire room applauded all three men that we have defended in prayer for so long, Stephen, Jess, and Lance. It was beautiful and perfect and again I feel privileged to be a part of saying thank you!











"If I Die Before You Wake" by Dusty Evans

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was awesome!!! I'm so glad so many people turned out to bless our soldiers. I got chills reading how special it was. You are the best and "you are God's party planner" You have a knack to make people feel very loved and special. Thanks!!

Love the Bennett's

Angela said...

That is amazing! How awesome!