Monday, March 1, 2010

I cried myself to sleep last night asking the question, how am I supposed to live in this world? I recently started reading Linda Smith's first book, "From Congress to the Brothel" which is describing the horrors of India's sex trade, children forced to have sex with 20 to 40 men a day. This is not new information, I have met Renu, heard her story, I read "Sold" last summer and "Renting Lacy", but reading this yesterday and then watching the 20/20 my friend sent me last night about child sacrifices in Uganda I just don't know how to live in this world. Falling asleep in my safe home crying for the children that I don't know how to save, for the mother whose child was decapitated for "good luck", for the hungry, the thirsty, the displaced, for the women who are shunned because of fistula which has been eradicated in the US over a hundred years, for the hopeless, the lonely. I'm overwhelmed and horrified and completely at a loss of how to change anything. All i know is I'm tired of this American dream, I'm tired of being so comfortable while the rest of the world is in pain. I don't know what any of it means but I know I can't just live this life the way I have. I am so excited for my trip to Africa, maybe there is an answer there, something to pour our hearts into, our time, our money. I don't know the answer but I hope God shows us soon....

1 comment:

Rik no Blog said...

Faria sentido se eu entendesse!